Power converters for Japan - Do you need a converter for Japan?

What is a power converter?

Power converters for Japan enable travellers to use a 220, 230 or 240 volt electric device with a 100 volt Japanese power outlet.

Also known as: electrical converter, electrical transformer, voltage converter, power transformer or voltage transformer.

What is the difference between a power converter and a power adapter for Japan?

A heavy and bulky power converter [3] will convert a 100 volt Japanese power outlet to work with a non-100 volt appliance, but a more lightweight and cheaper power adapter (or plug adapter) will change the shape of the plug on your appliance to fit into a power outlet found in Japan.

Do I need a power converter for Japan?

If you are travelling to Japan from a different region please check the device can be used with a 100 volt power supply.

  • You will need a step up power converter [4] if you are travelling to Japan from a country that uses 220-240 volts and your appliance doesn't support 100 volts. See the WikiConnections world power outlets page to discover the voltage is used in your country.
  • You won't need a power converter if you are already using either a single voltage appliance that works with 100 volts or one that supports dual voltage.
  • Devices which originated from a different country which use a higher voltage such as 230 volts and used with 100 volts sometimes take longer to charge or simply won't turn on. If your device charges slowly or does not power up when you are travelling to Japan from a different region then check that it can be used with a 100 volt Japanese power outlet otherwise you will need to bring a step up power converter [4].
  • You won't need a power converter if you need to charge a smaller electrical device such as a mobile phone as these are normally designed for international use and support dual voltage, however you should always check the device for dual voltage support first.
  • For supplying power to high wattage appliances or generate heat (for example clothes irons or hair dryers) then you will need to use a bulkier higher wattage heavy duty power converter [5] to allow it to be used with a 100 volt Japanese power outlet.
  • Buying a smaller lightweight dual voltage travel appliance will be more practical and cost effective than investing in a much heavier high wattage power converter just to use your existing domestic appliance in Japan.
  • For more information read our travel guides on travelling with clothes irons, curling irons, hair straighteners and hair dryers in Japanese power outlets which includes guides on some affordable dual voltage alternatives.

Will I need a power converter if I'm travelling to Japan from the US?

You won't need to bring a power converter because the voltage from a Japanese power outlet is in the same 100-120 volt range as the US.

What converter do I need for Japan?

You will need to buy a step up power converter [4] which will allow you to use any 220-240 volt appliance in Japan.

What is the difference between a power transformer and a converter?

Voltage converter

What is the difference between a power transformer and a converter?

Converters and transformers are both used to change one voltage to another, but this ambiguity can cause confusion as their purposes are different:

  • Power converters are designed for simple electrical appliances which typically generate heat or use motors such as clothes irons, shavers or hair dryers. Transformers are designed for more complex electronic items such as televisions or games consoles.
  • Buying a power converter is cheaper than buying a power transformer.
  • Power transformers are larger and heavier making them more suited for permanent residential use; for example an expat wishing to use an imported television would need to use a transformer for this purpose.
  • Power converters are more suitable for travellers wishing to bring domestic appliances abroad such as hair dryers or flat irons. However, it is more practical and cost effective to purchase a dual voltage appliance designed for travel rather than a heavier power converter.
  • Power converters are suitable for 2 pin ungrounded appliances, it could be harder to find a converter if you want to use a grounded 3 pin appliance.
  • Transformers can be used constantly however it is recommended that converters are used for no longer than a couple of hours at a time.
  • Shops may sell transformers under the name of converters, for the purposes this guide we will be referring to both converters and transformers as converters.

How to convert 100 volts to 220 volts

  1. Use a step up power converter [4] to allow you to use 220, 230 and 240 volt appliances with a 100 volt Japanese power outlet.
  2. If the power converter doesn't include the correct shaped plug then it will also be necessary to plug in the power cord from the power converter into a power adapter for Japan before plugging that into a Japanese power outlet.
  3. Some power converters include the ability to perform both step up and step down voltage conversions, therefore it may be necessary to manually switch the converter to output the voltage from 220-240v.
  4. Plug your appliance into the converter and turn the power on, your 220-240 volt appliance can now be used with a 100 volt Japanese power outlet.

What voltage does Japan use?

Japan uses 100 volts in their standard power outlets.

How can I tell if I have a dual voltage device?

Single voltage hair straighteners

How can I tell if I have a dual voltage device?

The easiest way to see if your device is single voltage or dual voltage is to look for either a sticker or numbers printed on the power adapter, or on the device itself, typically on the rear or near to where the power cord sits. The location might vary depending on the make and model of your unit and should also state on the box or in the instruction manual.

  • Single voltage devices might have a specific number - such as 110V.
  • Single voltage devices could also say a small voltage range (20 volts difference) with a dash to accomodate small voltage fluctuations - such as 220-240V.
  • Dual voltage devices will say a larger voltage range separated with a slash - such as 100/240V.

  1. https://www.japan.travel/en/ - Japan National Tourism Organization Web Site.
  2. http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/ - International Electrotechnical Commission World Plugs
  3. Power converter - A step up step down power converter converts 110-120 volts up to 220-240 volts and 220-240 volts down to 110-120 Volts, between $90 to $100.
  4. Step up power converter - A step up power converter allows a 220-240 volt appliance to be used in a 100-120 volt power outlet, estimated price between $110 to $120.
  5. Heavy duty power converter - A 5000 watt heavy duty step up and step down power converter used to convert voltages for domestic appliances, power tools, televisions, heating appliances and motors, estimated price between $140 to $150.